Memorials in our church
Most of the memorial plaques on the nave walls were transferred from the earlier Chapel. The majority are to various members of the Brooke family who had been landowners in Handforth since 1713, although they also had other estates in Cheshire. Of particular interest is the memorial to Peter Brooke, a lieutenant in the Royal Navy who served with distinction in the Napoleonic wars. He was mentioned in dispatches for gallantry in 1809, and was wounded several times. He was given the freedom of Liverpool for his Naval services, and he died in 1841. Richard Brooke, younger brother of Peter, became a solicitor in Liverpool, but was also a local antiquarian, and wrote many articles and pamphlets. He was a founder member of the Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, and was elected FSA in 1847. He died in 1861. A silver Communion Flagon is dedicated to his memory
The family of Richard Brooke FSA continued to own the Brooke Farm Estate in Handforth, and the memorial to his son Alexander Brooke was erected in 1921 by his grandson Alexander Trafford Brooke who is commemorated on the same tablet following his death in 1932.
The other memorials underline the number of well connected people who made their homes in and around Handforth during the second half of the 19th Century. Memorials placed in the new Church are to:
Louis Henry Symonds (died 1924), and his wife Marion Bertha (died 1930)
The Revd Arthur Espinelle Espin MA, Vicar of Handforth from 1900, who died whilst still in office in 1907. A silver Pyx (a container for communion bread) was given in his memory by his mother.
Another memorial which is so prominent that all will notice, but few really examine, is the Oak Panelling and Reredos on the east wall behind the Communion Table. This is in memory of Frank Hope, son of Mr and Mrs Thomas Hope of Knowles House, Manchester Road (now the Pinewood Hotel), who died in 1921. It contains the Ten Commandments and the Creed, and was erected in 1922. (See if you can spot the carver's 'spelling error').
At the rear of the nave is an oak carved panel recording the names of those who died in World War 1 and World War 2.
The inscription is as follows: 'In LOVING MEMORY of the MEN of HANDFORTH who FELL in the Great War'
Below, on the centre panel, it lists these names:
C. Allman, A.Arrowsmith, J.Bailey, H.Barlow, A.V.Brace, P. Brooks, H. Dawson, S. Fernihough,
H. Gardner, A. Goldsborough, R. Grimshaw, F. Helm, F. Hewitt, J. Knowles, F. Lloyd, H. Millin,
W. Moore, N. Mottram, W. Priestner, A.B. Scott, J. Shaw, E. Thornley, J. Beard, C. Smith.
Below the names, on the centre panel, the inscription is a follows: 'THEIR NAMES LIVE FOR EVERMORE'
The left side panel inscriptions are as follows:
S.P. Mitchell A.B. Ward
W.H. Seed E. England
Designed and maintained by SRM © 2006 Saint Chad's Church, Handforth, Cheshire SK9 3ES Telephone 01625 532145